Monday, March 7, 2011

Cádiz Carnival

On Saturday I headed to Cádiz (a city on the coast about a 1 1/2 hour drive from Sevilla) for what is one of the world's largest Carnival celebrations.

My friends and I bought some wigs and face paint to be our costumes for the night. The costumes range from very well thought-out and intricate homemade ones, to typical store-bought outfits, to just face paint. Halloween isn't really celebrated much in Spain, so Carnival is their main opportunity to get all dressed up in costume.


We left for Cádiz around eight o'clock on Saturday and got back around 8:00 a.m. Sunday morning, so it was a long night, but I had an awesome time! Our bus dropped us off in one of the main plazas of the city, where hundreds of buses full of people from Sevilla, Granada, Malaga and other close cities come in for the night. The whole city shuts down to host the celebration, and it really is something cool to experience.

During the day there are parades and other events, and there is a stage with performances during the day and night. At night, the whole city becomes one big botellón, which pretty much just means drinking in the streets. We wandered around the city until we reached the main plaza of the celebration, near the catedral. We also took a little trip up to the beach, which was nice. I can't wait to come back to the beach in a few weeks and enjoy it!

Our night at Carnival in Cádiz was so much fun and it was definitely a night I will always remember! And I think I look pretty good with long purple hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment