Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bienvenidos a Sevilla

I decided to start this blog to keep all my friends and family updated on my adventures in Europe this semester. Having just finished my first week in Sevilla and settled into my new home just steps away from the Rio Guadalquivir in Triana, I figured it was probably about time to start writing.




Getting to Sevilla was no easy task, so the beginning of the week was a bit of a whirlwind. Fog in Madrid caused my connecting flight to Sevilla to be cancelled, and gave me a nice 15 hour layover in Madrid Barajas. Although the design of its terminal 4 is very interesting and nice to look at, I hope not to spend much time there ever again. By the time I finally reached Sevilla, I was sleep-deprived and a little irritated, but relieved to have finally reached my new home.

THE CITY

Sevilla is unlike any other city that I have visited. While some cities have a tendency to blend together with their similar skyscrapers, traffic-clogged streets and cliche street performers, Sevilla has an appearance and atmosphere of its own. Most guidebooks will tell you that Sevilla is a city full of flamenco, bullfights, open plazas, tapas, orange trees, siestas, and everything Andalucian - and so far, I have found that to be true.

The style of architecture in AndalucĂ­a is unique and beautiful, and represented throughout the city. The combination of Spanish and Moorish influences is evident in many of the cities homes, palaces, and other buildings. The most striking building in Sevilla is of course La Catedral and La Giralda (Seville's cathedral and its accompanying bell tower). The immense cathedral, which is the world's third largest church, is a very impressive structure. Law states that no building can stand taller than La Giralda, which at 343 feet, prevents any type of skyscraper from being built in the city.

With a population of just over 700,000, the city is large, yet manageable. There is a buzz of activity in el centro, but even I, who have been here hardly a week, am likely to run into a few familiar faces while I walk through the city each day. The Rio Guadalquivir runs through the city, splitting the neighborhoods of Triana and Los Remedios off from the rest of the city. There are a many different barrios (neighborhoods) in Sevilla, each with their own plazas and attractions. In my first week, I have spent more time in some (such as my home barrio, Triana) than others. As the semester goes on I will post more about the specific areas I visit.



I'll be starting classes tomorrow, so as I get into a regular schedule I will have more time to post about the different things that are going on here in Sevilla.

Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I know that I'll enjoy all of the info that you post.
    I am forwarding the link that you Mom sent me to Alyssa.
    Enjoy a wonderful semester---looks as if oranges will definitely be the ingredient in many dishes!!! (or you'll just be eating them as they are).
    ..Hope your classes go well. Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete